Kiteboard spots

• Hello,

I am Hans (from Belgium) and I will be permanently moving to Zug in a few months.My apologies for my English but I have not started my German lessons yet.

I recently started with kiteboarding as I find it an awesome sport.
    (I have been windsurfing for 10 years but the big jumps of kiteboarding caught my attention J )

What are the popular kiteboard spots in the area ?
    And what is the best spot to take kiteboard lessons ?
    Does not have be official (IKO) lessons, but I really need some extra guidance.

I hope you guys can help me with this

Thank you and ... see you on the water ? J
    Hans

Google translator :

Hallo,

Ich bin Hans (aus Belgien) und ich werde ständig in Bewegung, um Zug in ein paar Monaten. Ich entschuldige mich für mein Englisch, aber ich habe nicht mein Deutsch-Unterricht begonnen.

Ich habe vor kurzem angefangen mit Kiteboarding, wie ich es eine wunderbare Sportart zu finden.
    (Ich habe seit 10 Jahren Windsurfen aber die großen Sprünge der Kiteboarding meine Aufmerksamkeit gefangen :)

Was sind die beliebtesten Kiteboard Spots in der Gegend?
    Und was ist der beste Ort, um Unterricht zu nehmen Kiteboard?
    Muss nicht sein offizieller (IKO) Unterricht, aber ich brauche wirklich einige zusätzliche Orientierungshilfe.

Ich hoffe euch kann mir dabei helfen

Vielen Dank und ... Sie sehen auf dem Wasser? :)
    Hans

• Hi Hans
    Kiting in Switzerland is in general pretty tricky unless you are a very experienced kiter. This is due to Restrictions, small access areas with often hazards near the launching zones, gusty changing Winds and general overcrowding.

The big exception is lake Silvaplana in Engadin, which I can recommend if you still need some assistance. There is a pretty hazard free launchin zone (for swiss standards!), a kiteschool and quite a good wind situation during the summer months (again for swiss standards!). The only downside is the extremely cold water and the huge crowds on weekends. At least the area is also excellent for hiking and biking.

Quite a lot swiss kiters also go regurlarly to lake Como in northern Italy. But again, this is neither such an easy spot if you are on your own, at least there are kiteschools (often teaching with boat assistance).

Greets Gio

• Hi man,

well as Gio says, silvplana is a really nice place for kiteboarding.

And if you are moving to Zug - guess what - there is a Spot next to the camping area called Brüggli. thsi is the official Kite-zone at this lake. Well there is not that much wind, but if there is, quite a few kiters will be there.
    Maybe it is not the ideal spot fo you, because its quite tricky. But I`m sure, that after a couple of times in Silvaplana (and maybe antother course, you will be able to kite at the lake of Zug as well. Its just a must to go upwind!!

• Hi Gio and Leinenverwickler,

thank you both for your feedback.
    Good to know about Silvaplana ! Too bad it's 200km away from Zug, but let's hope I learn fast so I can go on the Zug lake soon :)

Do you guys know a spot at "Untersee" ? A sailer I know recommended this but I don't know if it's good for kiters too ?

Do you guys live in the Zug area ?

bye
    Hans

• Hi man,

yes, I am from Zug.

Just don`t get too enthousiastic about the lake of Zug. There are not many windy days.

I don`t know anything about the Untersee. But I think the whole lake of Zurich is closed for Kitesurfing.

I think, that once you have been to Silvaplana you will love it. you can really count on the wind there. There is a camping place just next to the Kite-spot.

Westerly to southerly winds are good! The best is SW. West and south can be quite gusty. All other directions don`t work!!

cheers

• Cool,

yes my father also heard about the stable wind conditions of Silvaplana.
    It's allmost like the Garda lake in Italy (where we went surfing in the summer time)

When I have moved to Zug maybe we can share a car one day to Sivaplana.

(but first some extra kite lessons at the Belgian coast :)

cu
    Hans

• Do you guys know a spot at "Untersee" ? A sailer I know recommended this but I don't know if it's good for kiters too ?

Hi Hans

Since "Untersee" is commonly used as expression by locals to refer to the lower part of their lake, it is not clear which lake you mean. Most likely your sailor meant the "Untersee" of the Bodensee, which really has a good reputation for sailing and windsurfing. It is also one of the best spots for kiting (by swiss standards again, haha), but the problems I mentioned in my earlier post apply to the Bodensee very much and furthermore the best spot so far on the swiss side "Berlingen" is currently closed due to re-negotiation of the kiting permission.

Or maybe he meant the "Urnersee", a name given to the southeast part of the Vierwaldstättersee. This is also a lake much loved by sailors, but kiting is restricted to boat start and a small area, so it is not really suitable for you yet.

If you hear from other sources about swiss lakes with good sailing, you have to bear in mind that sailors are very happy with some wind above 8 knots be it gusty and changing and are not troubled at all with the problems we kiters face on the swiss lakes.

Cheers Gio (from Zurich)

• Do you guys know a spot at "Untersee" ? A sailer I know recommended this but I don't know if it's good for kiters too ?

Hi Hans

Since "Untersee" is commonly used as expression by locals to refer to the lower part of their lake, it is not clear which lake you mean. Most likely your sailor meant the "Untersee" of the Bodensee, which really has a good reputation for sailing and windsurfing. It is also one of the best spots for kiting (by swiss standards again, haha), but the problems I mentioned in my earlier post apply to the Bodensee very much and furthermore the best spot so far on the swiss side "Berlingen" is currently closed due to re-negotiation of the kiting permission.

Or maybe he meant the "Urnersee", a name given to the southeast part of the Vierwaldstättersee. This is also a lake much loved by sailors, but kiting is restricted to boat start and a small area, so it is not really suitable for you yet.

If you hear from other sources about swiss lakes with good sailing, you have to bear in mind that sailors are very happy with some wind above 8 knots be it gusty and changing and are not troubled at all with the problems we kiters face on the swiss lakes.

Cheers Gio (from Zurich)